STEAM Learning Assistant Intern/Volunteer
Reports to: Education and Outreach Manager
Working primarily in the Holland Museum’s new Spark!Lab exhibit, this position will engage visitors in completing hands-on design challenges by encouraging them to invent and build their own solutions. As part of the museum team, this position will empower visitors to draw connections between the inventions and innovations of the past and present.
Responsibilities and Accountability
- Greet and interact with museum visitors in an open, friendly manner.
- Interpret design thinking concepts and facilitate hands-on learning for a wide range of audiences, from early childhood through retirees, in groups of 1 to 30.
- Staff operating hours of Spark!Lab, as well as additional office hours as needed.
- Perform tours of Spark!Lab and related spaces, assist visitors as a museum guide, and assist with public programs on occasion and/or when requested.
- Working with museum staff, develop new activities for the Spark!Lab exhibit space that fulfill the Smithsonian’s guidelines.
- Maintain a professional demeanor, including during training sessions and with other staff and volunteers.
- Perform a variety of other administrative and clerical functions in support of the department’s mission including: keeping a daily log; assisting with correspondence; preparing materials for tours, programs, and exhibits, etc.
- Other duties as requested or assigned.
Education and Experience
Must be currently enrolled in high school, undergraduate, or graduate degree program, or a recent graduate. Demonstrated experience working with children and families. Experience working in customer service is preferred. Proficiency in Spanish is desirable.
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must have exceptional customer service and communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Willingness to learn, a “can do” mentality.
- Creative, with analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Able to work independently and follow through on tasks to completion.
- Ability to work with a diverse public and a diverse workforce.
- Ability to perform physical tasks (lift 30 lbs.) with physical mobility and ability to climb stairs.
- Demonstrated computer proficiency, including an excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Windows/Mac OS, email, the Internet, etc.
15-20 hours per week, with some evening and weekend hours. Flexible schedule.
This is an unpaid position. High school/college credit may be available dependent on school requirements.
Submit cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three professional references to Connie Locker VerHulst, Education & Outreach Manager, at email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately.